Reach the Unreached In the Himalayas
Dates: June 9 – November 16, 2019
Exploration: Lecture Phase
The Backpackers DTS is a Discipleship Training School that powerfully combines the pursuits of backpacking and missions. The chief focus of the DTS is to see people become disciples of Jesus who love God with all their heart, obey God radically from a posture of love, and make disciple-making disciples. We spend approximately half of the 13 week lecture phase in the Rocky Mountain backcountry (we do mostly backpacking, though we typically spend a week rock climbing and a week whitewater rafting as well). On our trail weeks, the teaching takes place in the outdoor classroom, and everyone shares responsibilities in running camp. We explore topics such as the Word of God, Hearing God’s voice, the Father-Heart of God, the Nature & Character of God, Holy Spirit, Missions, Disciple-making Movements, ect. Backcountry experience is not required for potential students, but a desire to pursue intimacy with God deep in the beauty of His creation is!
The weekly schedule of the Exploration phase will include:
- 12 hours of teaching and feedback: There is a different speaker and topic each week, and on trail weeks, the speaker will backpack/raft/climb/camp along with us and teach in the outdoor classroom.
- 8 hours of worship & intercession: Experience various expressions of worship, and cry out together with God’s heart for the lost.
- 8 hours of serving our community in work duties: As followers of Jesus, we want to develop a servant-hearted attitude and lifestyle. Everyone will receive a small, daily duty at base or in camp, and once a week we will all tackle larger community projects together.
- 4 hours in outreach preparation: Learn about South-Asian culture and language, and intercede for future ministry.
- 2 hours in small groups: Divide into same-gender groups to discuss deeper topics and process weekly learning.
- 1 hour in one-on-ones: Process individual growth and discipleship with a DTS staff or school leader.
- 10+ hours are available for learning outdoor skills or free-time depending on the week’s location.
Expedition: Outreach Phase
‘How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, ‘Your God reigns!’ Isaiah 52:7
Approximately ⅓ of the world’s people groups that are unreached or unengaged with the Gospel are found in North India and Nepal, and these will be the focus regions of your outreach. While the lecture phase is centered on knowing God intimately, the outreach phase adds the component of learning to make God known. The outreach will carry you to the Himalayas in the Fall where you will experience beautiful Himalayan cultures and build relationships with the people. As you build relationships, you will get to share the Good News of Jesus with people who have never before heard the Gospel. You will get to partner with, encourage, and strengthen national believers to reach their own people with the Good News. It is likely you will get to backpack Bibles into high, remote villages and dive deeper into the God’s heart for the lost through prayer trekking on behalf of unreached people groups. Becoming confident in sharing the hope that has transformed your life, you will never regret having given your time to seeking God in DTS community and carrying the Good News to those who have not heard. When your life has been transformed, you can then GO and transform the nations!
ARE YOU READY TO START YOUR WILDERNESS ADVENTURE?
What Will My Week Look Like
- Teaching 12hrs
- Worship & Intercession 5hrs
- Serving 8hrs
- Outreach Prep 4hrs
- Small Groups 2hrs
- One on ones 1hr
- Free Time 10hrs. +
What do I need to bring?
View the list of gear that you will need to bring for the Backpacker’s DTS.
Questions about BDTS?
Fill out this contact form, and we’ll be in touch.